This page will outline the South Carolina Youth Day Deer Hunt 2023-2024. We’ll go through the rules, restrictions, and places so you can get the most out of your hunting trip. You may have a safe and successful hunt with the proper planning and knowledge. Continue reading to learn more!
Youth Day Deer Hunt in South Carolina 2023-2024
Youth hunting days are designated throughout some deer seasons in South Carolina. In these times, only individuals under the age of 17 are allowed to go hunting. But those who still need to take the hunter’s education course must have an adult (21 or older) along. This is a youth-only hunting season. No license or tag is needed on youth days outside of the typical season.
|Game Zone||Youth Hunt Date||Deer Type||Bag Limits|
|Zone 1 (Private Lands)||30-Sep||Antlered deer only||Limit 1, Tags not required|
|Zone 1 (Private Lands)||6-Jan||Either-sex||Limit 2, Tags not required|
|Zone 2 (Private Lands)||9-Sep||Antlered deer only||Limit 1, Tags not required|
|Zone 2 (Private Lands)||6-Jan||Either-sex||Limit 2, Tags not required|
|Zone 3 (Private Lands)||12-Aug||Antlered deer only||Limit 1, Tags not required|
|Zone 3 (Private Lands)||6-Jan||Either-sex||Limit 2, Tags not required|
|Zone 4 (Private Lands)||12-Aug||Antlered deer only||Limit 1, Tags not required|
|Zone 4 (Private Lands)||6-Jan||Either-sex||Limit 2, Tags not required|
Youth Only Deer-Lottery Hunt
|Location||Hunting Start Date||Hunting End Date||Note|
|Poinsett Gunnery Range Sumter Co.||Selected Day in November||Applications will be available in September via. (Region 3 SCDNR at 803-734-3898 or on the SCDNR website)|
|Wateree River HP Richland Co.||On Selected Days November||Applications will be available in September via. (Region 3 SCDNR at 803-734-3898 or on the SCDNR website)|
|Santee Cooper WMA||On Selected Days October||On Selected Days December||Applications will be available in September.|
|Upstate Private Areas (Cherokee, Laurens, Spartanburg, Union Counties)||Selected Days:||Selected Days:||(Region I SCDNR 864-427-5140). Call for an application or download one from the SCDNR website. The application must be submitted by September 10th.|
|Fants Grove WMA||Saturday-October 1, 2022||Applications will be available in early August. Call the Clemson office at 864-986-6245 ext. 19 for further information, or download the application from the SCDNR website.|
|Belfast WMA||On Selected Days October||On Selected Days November||Applications will be accepted from August 20 through September 20. Contact the SCDNR office at 803-734-3898 or download the application from the SCDNR website.|
|Moultrie Hunt Unit||On Selected Days October||On Selected Days December||Late August, applications will be available. Dennis Wildlife Center may be reached at 843-825-3387 or 843-761-8820.|
|Tibwin (Francis Marion Hunt Unit)||On Selected Days||On Selected Days||Applications are due in early September. Call the United States Forest Service at 843-336-2200.|
|Congaree Bluffs HP||On Selected Days October||On Selected Days December||Applications will be accepted from August 20 through September 20. Contact the SCDNR office at 803-734-3898 or download the application from the SCDNR website.|
|Manchester State Forest||On Selected Days October||On Selected Days November||Applications will be accepted from August 20 through September 20. Contact the SCDNR office at 803-734-3898 or download the application from the SCDNR website.|
For certain animals, hunters must adhere to different laws. For instance, in Game Zones 1 and 2, you can’t use dogs to hunt deer. If a deer jumps into the water, you can’t kill it or do anything else. This is prohibited in certain Game Zones but permitted in others.
Sometimes, you’re restricted to taking either antlered or antlerless deer. There is a notable exception here: deer without antlers. A deer with antlers that extend more than two inches beyond its hairline is considered an antlered deer. The killing of these creatures is often prohibited without the proper paperwork.
Most Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) allow deer hunting, except the below:
|Bear Island||Santee Cooper|
|Fant’s Grove||Hamilton Ridge|
|Keowee||Botany Bay Plantation|
|Santee Coastal Reserve||Oak Lea|
• You receive two antlerless deer tags with a standard set of deer tags. Four antlerless deer tags are inexpensive. Not everyone accepts antlerless deer tags. Per-zone occupancy is limited.
• There are free hunting days. These periods are off-limits to hunters with licenses. Hunters may hunt on any public or private land that allows it. Bag limits, age limits, and other rules remain. These factors will impact how many antlerless deer you may shoot. Antlered bucks are a plus. Certain periods vary by area for using tags. Tags must be used with licensed hunting equipment throughout the season. This program doesn’t limit baggage. The property, not the inhabitants, is confined.
• Landowners may be awarded deer permits if they apply. This concept is appropriate for those with greater areas to build, as allotments are based on property size. The size of the land and deer density are also factors.
• It’s prohibited to hunt or disturb animals using artificial light. You may use a light on private land before 11 p.m. (but not hunt with a light). This guideline exempts academics and documentarians.
• WMA bans Sunday hunting. Sundays are not public hunting days.
• Even if you’re only hunting, trespassing is wrong. Always ask permission before accessing private territory, even to capture a deer.
• If you don’t have permission to hunt on a public road, you can’t hunt from the road. Those who hunt from highways may lose their hunting privileges. “Hunting” requires a loaded gun. Locked weapons don’t count.
• Nighttime hunting is forbidden. The night begins an hour after sunset, while the day begins an hour before dawn. Deer are not good nighttime prey.
FAQ on SC Youth Deer Hunt
Are deer tags required on youth day in South Carolina?
At certain times of the year, Youths under the age of 16 may go hunting without a parent or guardian present or without purchasing a hunting license. They may use whatever lawful hunting technique they choose to take down one antlered deer. Youth hunting permits and tags are optional on the last Saturday of each deer season on private property or in many Wildlife Management Areas.
Do youth under 16 need a hunting license in SC?"
Those under the age of 16 don’t need a hunting license as long as they have the proper tags for hunting.
Dates & Regulations source: DNR SC
- Hunting Seasons Calendar 2023-2024 Just Got Updated! - November 28, 2023
- Pennsylvania Waterfowl & Migratory Bird Season 2023-2024 - November 25, 2023
- Pennsylvania Hunting Seasons 2023-2024 New Regulations & Dates! - November 25, 2023